Benefits of Baby Yoga
Baby Yoga is actually very similar to adult yoga, it’s about stretching, breathing and relaxation. It can offer the baby a dynamic and active class for the days that the baby is alert and needs stimulating or a relaxing calm class for quieter days. The classes include adapted Hatha yoga postures, soothing body strokes, movements which enhance development and ensuring fun through playfulness and songs. This helps mum and baby interact and develop.
Baby Yoga isn’t just about participating in a class once a week, it’s something that mum and baby can practise at home, on a bus, at friends' houses, in a café. It is accessible to all in a huge variety of situations. Yoga can enhance your life and bring a calm, relaxed, happy healthy environment to you and your baby which is also fun.
There are a huge amount of benefits for both the parent and child.
Benefits for babies
- Strengthens and aids development;
- Improves sleep patterns;
- Aids digestion, including wind and constipation;
- Can help to strengthen your baby's immune and respiratory system;
- Improves circulation;
- Helps to develop body-mind awareness and co-ordination, balance and motor skills;
- Can help babies adapt to their new environment and offers reassurance;
- Enhances interaction;
- Offers a balance of activity and relaxation;
- Provides pleasure and fun.
Benefits for mums, dads and carers
- Helps to regain strength and maintain posture;
- Tones the abdominal muscles and pelvic floor;
- Nurturing oneself whilst enjoying activities with your baby;
- Gives confidence in handling your baby;
- Enhances positivity and interaction;
- Increases bonding between you and your baby;
- Offers deep relaxation;
- Provides pleasure and fun;
- Offers a brilliant opportunity to meet other mums and carers and have a lovely relaxing time together.
- Tea and cake :)
When can they start?
Babies can start Baby Yoga anytime rom 8 weeks up to crawling.
Thank you to Catherine Hawkridge for supplying the gorgeous baby photos. You can see more of her photos at www.facebook.com/fivelittleducks